Explore Your Intellectual Passions Before College
Pre-College Online Program for High School Students
Founded in 1693, William & Mary is a premier teaching, learning and research university with an outstanding academic reputation and vibrant community. Our Pre-College Online Program is designed for high school students ages 13 and up, and offers a range of compelling topics, covered in-depth, through online coursework led by William & Mary professors. We believe that online learning is a great way for motivated high school students to try out various topics and see what's a fit before college. The program is available year-round, and the online format allows you to study anywhere, anytime, while working at your own pace. This flexibility allows you to take multiple courses and explore a variety of subjects.
Multi-length courses available throughout the year
For students ages 13 and up
Individual Course Fees
Current Courses Available
We the People
We the People…everyone knows the famous opening to our nation’s Constitution. But many don’t realize how vital this document is to our legal system today. Our compelling course provides a better understanding of the Constitution, its fundamentals, and how the judicial system interprets it. Study the debate over constitutional meaning and the methods judges use to interpret a case. If you aspire to a future in law, this course is a must.
Disease, Diagnostics and Interventions
The foundation of medicine starts with the study of the pathogens featured in this course. Learn how viruses, bacteria and parasites infect the body, and how they spread. Discover how doctors use insights to diagnose and treat disease. Delve into the battle against antibiotic resistance and see how health organizations access new treatments from microbiology, biotechnology and gene therapy. If modern medicine is in your future, this course is for you.
Cognitive Psychology: How the Brain Works
Do the workings of the human brain fascinate you? Are you curious about the functions of decision making and reasoning? This course reveals the brain’s influence on language, perception and emotions. Understand how the brain uses memory and its connection to attention. Identify the functions of the frontal lobe and even create a map of your own brain. If you hope to pursue these topics in college and beyond, this course is for you.
Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital
From Idea to Investment
Venture Capitalism (VC) is a fast-paced *$330 billion business. This course offers you an insider’s look at this booming sector. Assume the role of an entrepreneur looking to raise funds. Learn the fine points of investing and pitching. Develop a compelling pitch to present to investors. Use real-world examples of entrepreneurs' experiences to highlight the successes and failures of raising VC. If you have interest in how entrepreneurs raise money, this course is a must.
*SOURCE: Published by Statista Research Department, Jun 24, 2022
Learn About Our Courses
How You Will Benefit
- Narrow your focus on what interests you to better determine subjects you might choose to study in college.
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by William & Mary faculty while you’re still in high school.
- Flexible learning: lectures by professors are delivered through dynamic videos, so you can tune in whenever your schedule allows — the ultimate in flexibility.
- Work with mentors who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience.
- Complete a Final Project to demonstrate what you’ve learned.
- For each course, earn a Certificate of Completion from William & Mary for your college application.
Three Learning Advantages Designed for You
All courses culminate in a special Final Project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you’ve learned in a presentation.
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work.
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned.
- Use any media you prefer — text, video, photography or PowerPoint.
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support and deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Expertise in your course’s particular field..
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments.
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies.
- Brainstorming and ideation to help you prepare for your Final Project.
- 100% online learning that works with your schedule.
- Flexible format: you’ll learn through video lectures. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- Multiple courses can be taken to maximize your learning experience.
- 20-30 hours of total instruction and activities per course, including engaging multimedia, simulations and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors.
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Just provide some basic information and tell us why you wish to take this program.
Note: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided application process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.
Want to Know More?
Sign up for more information and we’ll be in touch.
Our application process is easy. You can expect a prompt decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you have to turn around a project? When do you find out if you’re admitted? Find answers to your questions here.
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential and an inability to pay full tuition. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven’t applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn’t fill out a scholarship request, resume your application and click “Apply for Scholarship”.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.