Explore Your Intellectual Passions Before College
Pre-College Online Program for High School Students
Founded in 1693, William & Mary is a premier teaching, learning and research university with an outstanding academic reputation and vibrant community. Our Pre-College Online Program is designed for high school students ages 13 and up, and offers a range of compelling topics, covered in-depth, through online coursework led by William & Mary professors. We believe that online learning is a great way for motivated high school students to try out a topic and see if it’s a fit before college. The program is available year-round, and the online format allows you to study anywhere, anytime, while working at your own pace.
Multi-length courses available throughout the year
For students ages 13 and up
Current Courses Available
Constitutional Law: We the People
Understanding the Foundations of Our Nation’s Laws
We the People…everyone knows this famous opening to our nation’s Constitution. But many people don’t realize how vital the U.S. Constitution is to our legal system today. In this compelling course, you will gain a better understanding of the fundamentals of the Constitution and how the judicial system works to interpret it. You will focus on the debate over constitutional meaning, the methods judges use to interpret a case. For anyone who aspires to a future in law, this dynamic course is a must.
Medicine: Disease, Diagnostics and Interventions
Discover Pathogenic Microorganisms and How They Infect Humans
Thinking about a future in medicine? The foundation of every doctor’s understanding of medicine is the study of pathogens so here’s a great place to start. In this course, you’ll learn how viruses, bacteria and parasites infect different areas of the body, and how they spread among people. You’ll discover how doctors use these insights to treat disease and answer key questions. How do the characteristics of a disease lead to a diagnosis? What are the potential risks for other diseases? We’ll delve into the battle against antibiotic resistance and see how public and global health organizations access new treatments from microbiology, biotechnology and gene therapy. If modern medicine is in your future, this course is for you.
Cognitive Psychology: How the Brain Works
Understanding How the Brain Works
Do the workings of the human brain fascinate you? Are you curious about the functions of decision making and reasoning? This course is designed for motivated students with a passion for how the brain functions and its influence on language, perception, decision-making and emotions. Learn the history of cognitive psychology and define distinct systems of the brain and the processes of human cognition. Understand how the brain uses memory and its connection to attention. Identify the functions of the frontal lobe, like emotions and reasoning. You’ll even have the opportunity to create a map of your brain and show how it makes decisions. From law and medicine to research, data analytics and more, a wide variety of fields benefit from a background knowledge of cognitive psychology. If you hope to pursue any of these topics in college and beyond, this course is for you.
Finance: Venture Capital Investing
Explore How Venture Capitalism Works
Entrepreneurs, and the support they receive from venture capitalists, is a booming *$330 billion business. This course provides you with an insider’s look into the world of venture capital (VC). Through the lens of a founder looking to raise funds, you will explore the world of VC, investing and pitching. Using your knowledge of external funding and the capital ecosystem, you will develop a compelling pitch that presents your ideas to potential investors. Throughout the course, real-world examples of founders’ experiences will highlight the successes and failures that come with raising VC. If the fast-paced business of helping entrepreneurs raise money is something you have interest in studying, this course is a must.
*SOURCE: Published by Statista Research Department, Jun 24, 2022
How You Will Benefit
- Narrow your focus on what interests you to better determine subjects you might choose to study in college.
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by William & Mary faculty while you’re still in high school.
- Flexible learning: lectures by professors are delivered through dynamic videos, so you can tune in whenever your schedule allows — the ultimate in flexibility.
- Work with mentors who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience.
- Complete a Final Project to demonstrate what you’ve learned.
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from William & Mary for your college application.
Three Learning Advantages Designed for You
All online courses culminate in a special Final Project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you’ve learned in a presentation.
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work.
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned.
- Use any media you prefer — text, video, photography or PowerPoint.
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support and deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments.
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies.
- Brainstorming and ideation to help you prepare for your Final Project.
- 100% online learning that works with your schedule.
- Flexible format: you’ll learn through video lectures. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- 20-30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia, simulations and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors.
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are needed. Our application requires basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian. Then, tell us why you wish to take this course. Include your personal story through writing, video, photos — or any medium you prefer.
Note: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided application process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.
Want to Know More?
Sign up for more information and we’ll be in touch.
Our application process is easy. You can expect a prompt decision.
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you have to turn around a project? When do you find out if you’re admitted? Find answers to your questions here.
We offer need-based scholarships in each cohort to students exhibiting high potential and an inability to pay full tuition. If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- Haven’t applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- Applied to the program and didn’t fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.
- Are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.